August Member Spotlight: Lisa Pollock

Lisa Pollock, Lisa Pollock Studio LLC - Boca Raton, FL



When did you realize that you wanted to become an interior designer?
I have always embraced creativity and been drawn to art in one form or another. Around the age of 10 I remember feeling completely uninspired over the lavender shade of wall to wall carpet in my bedroom. I rearranged the furniture and begged my mother to install a more neutral colored rug, or even better, refinish the wood floors beneath. I guess you can say that’s when my focus on interiors really started. I spent the following years wearing many different hats in the arts, ranging from drawing, to designing handbags, to costume design, but I always came back to my love of interior design and the desire to create spaces for mind, body and soul.

Who was the first interior designer to make an impression on you?
Jean-Louis Denoit brings eclectic yet contemporary interiors together in a manner which always complement the spirit of the space in which he works. I love his aesthetic of varied periods and scales, as well as his mastery of a neutral color palate. To date, he is still my go-to for inspiration.

What are some of the things that influence you, aside from furniture and décor?
I am deeply influenced by fashion. The use of colors, textures as well as old and new bring me the same excitement and passion as interiors. Both have challenging rules that can be beautifully broken.

What are your go-to basics?
I love to impose an unexpected contrast, which in turn makes the home feel visually cohesive. I like to mix contemporary pieces with vintage, polished antiques with objects that feel handled and worn, and neutral color palates that find depth with texture and scale. I like to start designing a room based on function and let the architecture of the space guide me through selecting forms.

Are you seeing any particular style requests trending amongst your clients?
Creating a seamless flow between indoor and outdoor living along with an open concept floor plan is definitely a way of life in Florida, where I recently relocated with my family. This has been a refreshing change from New York City, and I have embraced the effortless more casual style of living into my designs.

What’s been your career highlight to date?
My career highlight to date is the design of a converted paper factory waterfront loft into a townhouse style home in Brooklyn, NY. This project came with its fair share of risk taking, and many obstacles along the way. The space was very cold and industrial, and it needed warmth and energy to suit the needs of a young family. I learned to trust my vision implicitly, but also learned that it is ok to step outside of the box and embrace the uncertainties. The outcome was that much more rewarding, and everything came together in total harmony.

What’s the most treasured item in your own home?
This is a difficult question because my husband and I have enjoyed collecting art and furniture for many years and it is nearly impossible to pick one favorite. That said, Michael Vollbracht, a painter and famed fashion designer, was also my husband’s godfather. I loved watching Michael move from fashion to painting in such an effortless way, and it was such a joy and inspiration getting to know him over the years. For our wedding, he painted a series of 10 tulips symbolizing love and new beginnings. We treasure these paintings and are so honored to have them in our home.

Comments

Popular Posts