June Member Spotlight: Lynn Feinstein

Lynn Feinstein, Mobius Home - Portland, OR


When did you realize that you wanted to become an interior designer?
I wanted to make a change from my career in apparel and footwear design. I was considering opening a retail shop to sell sustainably manufactured product. But I felt there was too much stuff out there already. I attended a Master Recycler certification through the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability in Portland, OR. The Bureau had a campaign called “Be Resourceful”, and it sparked the idea for my business; I can offer a Resourceful Interior Decorating service, starting with the items people already own to create their dream space, and enhancing it with mindfully manufactured product where needed. This model helps reduce wastefulness, helps the client save money, and is better for the planet.

Who was the first interior designer to make an impression on you?
 Joanna Gains from “Fixer Upper”. I hadn’t been too exposed to the interior design community until I made the career change, but she impressed me with her style, intelligence, drive and business acumen.

What are some of the things that influence you, aside from furniture and décor?
Anything and everything! Architecture, art, graphic design, fonts, fashion, color and pattern, music, and the global style and cultures of Morocco, Italy & France, Scandinavia, Frida Kahlo, the Southwest of the United States, to name a few.

What are your go-to basics?
Color palettes. Before I begin any design, the first thing I do is to determine the color scheme of the space.

 Are you seeing any particular style requests trending amongst your clients?
Where I live, Mid Century Modern is popular, and the latest client I worked with collected MCM furnishings and decor. Overall, my clients tend to be collectors of items from their travels, so their tastes are more global and eclectic.

What’s been your career highlight to date?
Working with interesting and accomplished clients. Each one has a fascinating story about their lives.

What’s the most treasured item in your own home?
 The artwork I’ve collected from friends and family.

Comments

Popular Posts