October 2019 Member Spotlight: Cathy Clark

Cathy Clark of White Lilly Interiors LLC - Indianapolis, IN



When did you realize that you wanted to become an interior designer?
I think when I was a teenager and became interested in why my mother kept
changing the paint colors and frequently rearranged the furniture. I was fascinated with
how effective her changes would be in our home.

Who was the first interior designer to make an impression on you?
I remember being drawn to pictures of rooms that weren't overdone and lots of white
but never researched who designed the rooms. When we studied the designers with the
greatest influences on design evolution I became obsessed with the work of Elsie de
Wolfe, America's first designer. I am still amazed when I see her work which was such a
departure from the widely popular formal traditional style.

What are some of the things that influence you, aside from furniture and décor? 
I am influenced and inspired by so many things but especially nature and
architectural components of old buildings. I try to learn as much as possible about a
client and transfer that information into the main influence for their design plan.

What are your go-to basics?
It depends on the client's style but some "go to" interior and exterior paint colors I
use frequently are Urbane Bronze, Peppercorn, Tricorn Black, Simply White and
Decorator's White. I always encourage clients to consider a color for their ceiling other
than Ceiling White.

I like practically all of the lighting styles by Aerin Lauder, Visual Comfort and Hudson
Valley.

Are you seeing any particular style requests trending amongst your clients?
Carrara, Calacatta and Statuario marble and Quartz in those patterns are still very
popular in the Midwest.

What's been your career highlight to date?
Truthfully, I am in a quandary as to how to answer that question. I am one of those
people that is so excited when a project is completed and the client is happy, as I drive
away I am thinking it was my favorite project!

What's the most treasured item in your own home?
I have two gorgeous white gilded french vases inherited from my grandmother which
I will always treasure.

Comments

Popular Posts