May Member Spotlight: Wendy Glaister

Wendy Glaister, Wendy Glaister Interiors - Modesto, CA



When did you realize that you wanted to become an interior designer? 
My grandmother encouraged me to be a designer. My son was in first grade and she could see I was having a hard time figuring out what to do with my life. She asked me to call a lady that had been asking me for help with her home. She said she'd love to hear how it went the next day when I came to see her. Smart cookie...she put a timeframe on her expectation. So, I called the lady because I didn't want to disappoint my grandma, and I have been working ever since. 

Who was the first interior designer to make an impression on you?
Mario Buatta. I loved looking at AD when I was little at the cabin we'd visit every summer at Pinecrest Lake. Same 5 issues of AD year after year and the biggest impression was made by Mario Buatta and the BMW 750 iL ads. 😂

What are some of the things that influence you, aside from furniture and décor?
a) Music, art and travel. I don't have to go very far, really. I live only a couple of hours from San Francisco and the Bay Area and there's so much to do and see there. Symphony, museums, musicals and concerts, special exhibits, restaurants, the SF Design Center, so much! 
b) Other designers. Showcase homes, tours, furniture and fabric lines... I appreciate the incredible talent of my colleagues in the profession. 
c) I have also been heavily influenced by my parents. They have great taste in music, art, and the arrangement of objects. I am so blessed to be their daughter ....having grown up in that home.

What are your go-to basics?
I like a lamp on the kitchen counter, I am a big believer in ferns and plants (doesn't have to be fresh but it's great if it can be), and I love natural daylight. Those are things present in every project I complete....no matter the style. I also want it to make sense....it has to be pretty AND practical.

Are you seeing any particular style requests trending amongst your clients?
My clients really range in their styles. I think they come to me in part because they know I am able to design in a myriad of styles and genres. I love contemporary, traditional, transitional, mid century, arts and crafts, all of it.

What’s been your career highlight to date?
Last summer a project I did was on Traditional Home.com and I was named one of the Top 50 Interior Designers in California by Bright Tech. That was incredible. I am so grateful.

What’s the most treasured item in your own home?
It's not at my home, it's at my cabin and it's my art collection. I started seriously collecting art about 3 years ago. My broker is The Gallery Finesse in Turlock, CA. They travel to Europe 3 times a year and show at all the big art and antiques shows in the country. I love their traditional landscapes but Regina and Ken do an incredible job with Mid Century Modern, too. They're wonderful to work with and we have had so much fun together helping my clients become interested in collecting original art. 

Comments

Popular Posts