March Member Spotlight: Tiffany Cassidy

 Tiffany Cassidy, Lagnappe Custom Interiors - St. Thomas, USVI



When did you realize that you wanted to become an interior designer? 

I came to this profession in a round about kind of way.  In high school I anxiously awaited each Architectural Digest issue in the mail and many favorite issues ended up hidden under my bed for repeat reading! That said, I went and got a Chemistry degree because it seemed somehow more practical in college.  It wasn’t until I had a crisis of creativity, quit my job, and moved to St. Thomas that I found the freedom to pursue design as a career and ultimately started Lagnappe.

 

Who was the first interior designer to make an impression on you?

The Architect A. Hayes Towne made a huge impact on me early on before I was even working in the field.  I have always loved the way he completed all of his projects, so much more that just a plan for a home, he would specify all the materials, furnishings and sometimes even suggested the right dog for the porch I’ve heard!  It’s that level of vision for the lifestyle that the home begets that really has me fascinated.

 

What are some of the things that influence you, aside from furniture and décor?

For me it’s all about the home and design supporting the lifestyle of the people who live there.  I take into account the architecture, the client's needs, and also the client's story.  Have they traveled and lived other places, what’s their family background, and how do they want to live?  We craft a space that will support their lifestyle functionally and then also weave in references through the design elements to make the space really reflect who they are and bits of their personal story.  I love getting to know clients and they often end as good friends later, it’s one of the benefits of living and working in a small community.

 

What are your go-to basics?

Our lifestyle in the Caribbean really does inform so many of our choices.  We have a tendency to live in a very indoor/outdoor kind of way.  There’s always beach sand on the floor at our house!  I default to basics that are easy care.  We love seating pieces with washable slipcovers, and I use performance fabrics everywhere I can, even for Window treatments!

 

Are you seeing any particular style requests trending amongst your clients?

Design on an island is almost always driven by a coastal or tropical aesthetic.  Lately we seem to be doing more and more modern designs.  I really love the paired down style but that does not mean it’s simple by any means.  When less is more, every choice makes an impact!  For us it’s always about guiding the client toward a look that is appropriate to our area and vacation location without being kitchy.  This generally means mixing lots of organic textures and neutral tones with some pops of Caribbean colors. 

 

What’s the most treasured item in your own home?

Our Family photo albums, so many great memories and the smiling faces of people we love in those books!

Comments

Popular Posts