April Member Spotlight: Catasha Singleton

Catasha Singleton, Mod Chic Interiors - Houston, TX



When did you realize that you wanted to become an interior designer? 
This moment was fully realized when I narrowed down what makes me absolutely happy even if I did it for free. Without any formal training, I decorated for several years at my own expense because I believed there was no way I could make a living from it. I only yearned for more knowledge of the design trade. After several points of feedback, I realized it was an innate ability, inspired by my mother who kept her home beautiful and fresh. 

Who was the first interior designer to make an impression on you?

I don’t know that I recall the first, but Jonathan Adler made the biggest impression on my aesthetic, my process, and my perception of literally anything around me that could be used as inspiration. After learning his story in this industry, it motivated me to take many leaps of faith. 

What are some of the things that influence you, aside from furniture and décor?

I now have such a great appreciation for things like photography, pottery, and nature. Those elements all play into my creativity, but the largest influence of all for me is fashion. I was once a plus-model in NYC so there’s nothing like a statement piece to get my creative juices flowing.

What are your go-to basics?

A neutral palette (white, cream, ivory, khaki), with splashes of black (accents, casegoods, metals) and brass (lighting). When I near retirement (years from now), that will be the only palette of colors I design with. 

Are you seeing any particular style requests trending amongst your clients?

Brass lighting, acrylic anything, and boucle upholstered pieces. 

What’s been your career highlight to date? 
When I decided to venture into the design industry at a more serious level, one of my most popular projects was a boutique commercial space - a cosmetic and medical spa in downtown Houston. I designed this space with very little knowledge and a ton of drive. I was determined to make it one of the best projects I’ve ever produced, and the outcome did not disappoint. It propelled me to continue going, to be where I am today.  

What’s the most treasured item in your own home?

My most treasured item in my home is my bed. It is a beautiful black and brass canopy bed that was the inspiration for my bedroom makeover that I’ve coined, “The Noir Project”. 

Comments

Popular Posts